If you are thinking of buying gift cards for friends and relatives, you might want to think again. Stores going out of business can sell these gift cards quite legally up till the day they go out of business. And then what? You have a gift card worth nothing. And you might not want either to buy a gift card for a nearby store that is part of a chain; for while the chain may continue to exist, the local store may disappear and you might end up driving quite a ways to redeem the card.
The list is sort scary long.
* Circuit City (filed Chapter 11)
* Mervyns (filed Chapter 7)
*Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide closing
* Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug and Catherine’s to close 150 stores nationwide
* Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January
* Cache will close all stores
* Talbots closing down specialty stores
* J. Jill closing all stores (owned by Talbots)
* Pacific Sunwear (also owned by Talbots)
* GAP closing 85 stores
* Footlocker closing 140 stores, more to close after January
* Wickes Furniture closing down
* Levitz closing down remaining stores
* Bombay closing remaining stores
* Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January
* Whitehall closing all stores
* Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
* Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.
* Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick )
* Macys to close 9 stores after January
* Linens and Things closing all stores
* Movie Galley closing all stores
* Pep Boys Closing 33 stores
* Sprint/Nextel closing 133 stores
* JC Penney closing a number of stores after January
* Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
* Wilson Leather closing down all stores
* Sharper Image closing down all stores
* K B Toys closing 356 stores
* Loews to close down some stores
* Dillard’s to close some stores